So… it’s been while since I’ve posted projects on here! We’ve had a LOT of change over the past year and a half. I switched brokerages, had a baby, and it’s spring time again in real estate which pretty much means I live in my car and feed my family more take-out than I should. ;)
We actually did this project last spring… and it has been the BEST use of this space I could’ve ever imagined. Since I office from home, this was a total must-have for our family... but regardless of if you need a home office, built-ins are a great way to add a custom feel to your home, as well as add functionality to a space. From a real estate standpoint, this is a great inexpensive way to set your house apart. This is an IKEA hack, and the entire project probably cost us roughly $300!! We measured the space, and found what size bookshelves would work, leaving room for trim/framework in between. Once we assembled the shelving, we built a frame to slightly raise them off the ground, secured them to the wall,...
I scored this gem of a chair for $10, and just saw boundless potential! It's fabric was worn out and the chair itself wasn't very comfortable, but with some new foam and fresh fabric, this chair was good as new.
I love taking furniture pieces that have character and giving them a fresh look. Not to mention... it is SO MUCH CHEAPER!! I've been experimenting with putting my hand to upholstery for a little while now... and even though it's definitely a lot of work, I love the way each chair is a puzzle as you pull it apart and put it back together.
Here are some of my tips when upholstering:
1. Mentally prepare yourself! - This might seem like a weird tip. But, seriously. I remember looking at an upholstery blog that made it seem so easy. And I did not anticipate how lengthy of a process it can be. Taking out hundreds of staples is time consuming. And will make your hands a bit sore. But stick with it! Stay patient. Do it in shifts.
2. Get the right tools. - FOREVER I've been usin...
When we first looked at buying this house, I loved the idea of having a playhouse in the backyard for our future babies. And now that we have a walking, growing baby girl, we decided it was time show it a little TLC.
If I wrote down every small detail of what we did for this project... I'd be posting for weeks. And well, .... let's be honest: this mama doesn't have time for that. So instead, I'll just do my best to give you a synopsis of what we did!
But FIRST: BIG shoutout to my wonderful husband for all of his hard work in making this happen!! He has grown so much in his skills with the power tools, and I'm so proud!
1.Replace rotted wood - The biggest part of this project was replacing old wood. A lot of the playhouse had been rotted out, and needed to be completely redone. So, we tore out the entire side railing, the steps, the top entrance to the slide, etc. We also sanded, caulked, and prepped everywhere for a fresh coat of paint.
Any of you have that untamed jungle of weeds that plague your yard every year? When we first moved into our house, we had a jungle in the front and back next to our AC unit! After hashing out several ideas for what to do with that space once the weeds/poison ivy mess was cleared, we decided to rock the entire area. This made it low maintenance, and kept the majority of weeds from coming back up. Here's a quick breakdown of how we did it!
-Step 1: Prep the ground. The most important part!! First, we made some homemade weed-killer and generously sprayed the area. *Tutorial/recipe for homemade weed-killer coming soon!*
-Step 2: Dig it up! The next day we removed all of the dead/dying weeds, and sprayed once more.
-Step 3: Border & Cover. Buying a material the block the weeds from coming back up also helps to outline where you are laying the rock. We used landscaping border and laid down some landscape fabric.
-Step 4: Rock! The most cost effective way to purchase stone/rock is to...
This is actually a very late post- I did this project months ago! But, real estate and mommy-life has kept me busy... so I'm finally getting around to writing it up. Plus, just in time for everyone's spring cleaning projects, right?! ;-)
We don't have an actual pantry in our home, so effectively utilizing our cabinet space is becoming more and more of a priority. After shoving everything in there and trying to make it all fit for over a year, I decided it was time for a change.
I'd been searching for pretty glass jars to help me organize for quite some time, but refused to pay $20 a jar! So, when I stumbled upon exactly what I needed on clearance, I couldn't pass them up. I found some free printables online that ended up working perfectly, and added some contact paper to spruce up the cabinets a bit. I'm really happy with how it turned out!
BEFORE & AFTER:
Here are some quick tips for organizing your pantry:
Start with a clean slate: I started by completely emptyin...
These windows have been driving me crazy since we moved in. I love our home, but the outdated aluminum vibe is not at all charming, warm, or inviting. See what I mean?? Yuck.
Replacing the many windows we have in our house was going to be a pretty big expense, and it's not on our priority list for the time being. So, I decided it was time for a small face-lift, without the pricetag. Thankfully, I had scrounged up some white Rustoleum paint in the garage and a paintbrush. I skipped the painter's tape prep work, and instead painted directly on the windows. I was able to scrape off the excess paint once it had dried, by spraying a mixture of distilled white vinegar, water, and dish soap directly onto the dried pant. Once I let it soak in for a few minutes, I used a window/tile blade to peel the excess paint off.
Even if you don't have these supplies in your garage, this project should cost you roughly $15.